.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Old Army's Blog

My Life and Opinions about life in Nevada & now Texas!!!

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I am a Retired Army guy, who is old fashioned and progressive. You know a living oxymoron! My Favorite blogs: http://jetiranger.tripod.com/BLOG/ & http://www.usinkorea.org/

Monday, January 03, 2005

The First Ranting of the Year!

Well, after 8 feet of snow up by Lake Tahoe and about 2 feet in Reno, the roads are starting to get back to normal. Not too much out here in the country and that is fine by me but I think I may have to invest in some snow chains just in case. As everyone knows gambling is the number one industry in Nevada, more so in the south/Vegas Area than here. Things are more diversified here but still the water and high housing cost are taking their toll on those that don’t make $16 an hour. Not sure where that statistic came from but it is from the evening news. As with everywhere else when the Californians relocate they bring their over inflated housing prices with them. The real estate industry does not care as the more they sell a house for the bigger their commission is. I guess the problem will start to show up when the people who clean the hotel rooms, bus the tables, teach the kids and provide fire and police services, are not able to work in the cities because they can not afford it. It is already manifesting its self in Las Vegas and I think Reno/Carson City is not far behind. As usual greed is the driving factor for everything and no one seems to really care that the number of people homeless and on assisted living are going up every year. Until the voting public tells the politicians to “Fix this or I won’t vote for you!” nothing will get done. Perhaps the Mega-resorts in Las Vegas will realize they need their cheap labor close and will furnish low cost Apartments for them. Lord know they won’t raise their pay but furnishing housing and deducting rent from their pay would be a smart business move. The labor is close and very available reducing the amount of workers that say I have no way to get to work. Well that’s my rant for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home