.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Old Army's Blog

My Life and Opinions about life in Nevada & now Texas!!!

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I am a Retired Army guy, who is old fashioned and progressive. You know a living oxymoron! My Favorite blogs: http://jetiranger.tripod.com/BLOG/ & http://www.usinkorea.org/

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Iraq, My Take!

Now that my son has arrived in Iraq and is getting settled in, I thought it was time for my commentary on it, as I now have a very personal stake in it.

It seems to me that there is more emphasis on Iraqi soldiers and policemen getting killed. They are still having nightly attacks at most of the US camps. From descriptions, they are like drive by mortar attacks, as most of the US Camps are on the or near the main freeways. Why is this never in the news? Because it is like gang shootings in most of the large US Cities, a common, everyday occurrence and not a news worthy item.

Do I think we went for the correct reasons? No, because we initially went to get rid of WMD. The tone has changed and now we are there to free the Iraqi people from tyranny a noble cause but I have a feeling it is not the whole truth.

Will Iraq be better off for this having happened? Yes, as now they control their fate. Many of us still have questions like what happened to the money from the oil that was going to defray some of the cost of rebuilding Iraq. Why are countries that were non participants (those who did not take a risk) now being allowed to have service contracts with Iraq? We were told this would not happen but the French and the Germans are now looking for no risk profits from Iraq.

I think the soldiers are there because they believe they can help Iraq become a people governed country and unlike in Viet Nam, they get honored for the job they are doing and the errors of this war will be judged by history as falling on the politicians of the day, not the soldiers.
End of Rant for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home