.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Old Army's Blog

My Life and Opinions about life in Nevada & now Texas!!!

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

I am a Retired Army guy, who is old fashioned and progressive. You know a living oxymoron! My Favorite blogs: http://jetiranger.tripod.com/BLOG/ & http://www.usinkorea.org/

Monday, April 10, 2006

My Space

PC Mag Story Business Week Story NY Times These stories show the press My Space is getting. Most of it is not good but any press is better than no press!

MSNBC had an interesting write up on My Space, click on the Title link to go to the article. Much of it is trying to show how kids feel so safe but that they are giving too much info out. This is a problem not only with My Space profile but with all the others out there. It is incumbent upon the user to be judicious in what they do and do not give out.

I think more pressure should be placed on parents to look at what their kids are putting on the net. The big problem is many of the kids are very internet savvy and the parents have little time or inclination to see what their kids are doing. My thoughts are if I am paying for the connection then what you do on my connection is my business. So the kids screaming "my privacy!" have no leg to stand on.

If you have a chance go to My Space and take a look at the profiles in your area. I did a search to see people my age as I just moved here and found 14 & 15 year olds (listing themselves as 41&51) you can tell just by the way they write and the VeRNacUlAr they use. It can be a danger to young people and even young women to give out that much info as there are many sick people on the web. Now that Rupert Murdoc owns My Space they will care even less about it unless it is a threat to their bottom line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home